July 24 is Tell an Old Joke Day. Are your kids always telling jokes? When our boys check out a joke book from the library I’ll admit – I sigh. They follow me around the house for a week saying, “Mom, mom. Listen to this one. It’s hilarious.” Now repeat that scenario 1,422 times and you’ll understand why I try to distract our boys from the joke book aisle at the library. As much as the corny jokes can be annoying, I’ve found jokes are a really great, natural teaching tool. In order to understand a joke about a mushroom being a “fun guy” kids have to know that a mushroom is a fungi. I’m always surprised how much “teaching” a child will allow me to do when a joke books is in their hands. It’s like secret school. I feel like an educational ninja.
To celebrate Tell an Old Joke Day – here are 15 of our family’s favorite old jokes. Got any jokes your kids love to tell? Share them!
1. Why was the broom late? He over swept.
2. What do you get when you cross a snowman with a vampire? Frostbite.
3. What do you get from a pampered cow? Spoiled milk.
4. What do you call a cow that just had a baby? De-calf-inated
5. Why didn’t the skeleton cross the road? He didn’t have the guts.
6. Why was 6 afraid of 7? Because: 7 8 9
7. Where do pencils go for vacation? Pencil-vania
8. A boy was having a birthday party. A mushroom walks in, and the little boy says, “That mushroom can’t come to my birthday party!”-The mushroom said, “Why not? I’m a fun guy
9. How much does it cost a pirate to get his ear pierced? A buccaneer!
10. Why do cows wear bells? Because their horns don’t work.
11. Knock, knock. Who’s there? Nobody. Nobody who? (don’t say anything).
12. Knock, knock. Who’s there? Smell Mop. Smell Mop Who? (har, har)
13. What do you call a bear with no teeth? A gummy bear.
14. What did Batman and Robin become after they were run over by a steamroller? Flatman and Ribbon
15. What do you get when you cross a centipede and a parrot? A walkie talkie.